23.4.10

Lady Travel Talk: Travel Niceties & Niceness

We are pleased to introduce our 6th guest blogger of the Lady Travel Talk, a mini-series tailor made for female travelers. This series covers a host of topics related to the travel experiences of each of the ladies contributing to the series. Today's guest blogger is Maggie Lang, she is a Marketing Manager for a major airline, a former Marketing Manager for Walgreens, and a worldwide traveler. Maggie self identifies as a "international citizen," having grown up and lived in 10 different countries.

Today Maggie encourages to understand travel niceties and practicing the art of niceness.

I’m an airline employee. I’m married to an airline pilot. The first words out of my kids mouths (no joke) was airplane. I started flying internationally by myself at the tender age 5 and never stopped. Yes, one can say that travel by air is more than just a job; it’s a way of life.

As a woman in business, I travel a great deal for work. New cities and strange places are common place and I find myself energized and fascinated by new experiences. Does that sound like I jump on a plane and embrace the “adventure”? No. Not so much. In addition to being a world traveler I’m also a complete control freak. While some of my colleagues throw themselves into the experience without as much as a hotel reservation prior to arrival, the thought alone makes my planner self break into cold sweat.

Over the years I have compiled a top ten list that has helped make my life as a female solo traveler a breeze and as with most things, it starts with Google:

For even the shortest of business trips, I look up the airport map, ground transportation and the neighborhood of my hotel. Having a sense of where I’m going once I arrive (yes, that even means taking a right or left out of the airport gate) makes me feel more confident, and thus, I don’t have that concerned “where am I going” look as I exit the airplane.

I have finally gotten the science (forget art) of ‘packing light’ down. Wear one black or neutral color pant suit on the plane that you can mix and match different knit tops with; knits take less space, don’t wrinkle easily and are much more versatile than woven tops. My zip lock bag with travel size toiletries is always stocked, and I have an extra set of makeup standing by for any trip.

Heavy books were replaced with the Kindle; my new best friend. Enough said. If you don’t have one yet, go buy one. You will never look back.

There are three things that always go in my purse; my concealer, mascara and cell phone charger. Everything else you can get in any given drugstore in any given country, should the airline (gasp!) happen to lose your luggage or some other luggage mishap happen. Why concealer and mascara? Anyone in need of either on a regular basis know that there are a million bad ones that make you look like a scared raccoon but that ONE good one can only be found in that one certain counter in that rarely found department store. You would have no luck in your everyday Walgreens. As for the cell phone charger; have you ever tried to find a charger for your specific (either archaic or so new nobody carries it) Blackberry model when you really need one?

Check in online. I don’t like lines and get anxiety if I have to stand in a two mile long line to check in. While we’re on the airport topic, it is a little known fact that there is always a less busy TSA security checkpoint in large airports. Find them. They’re usually located on the fringes of the terminals. However, most people go with the flow and thus, all file into the same TSA checkpoint in the middle of the terminal. Counteract this by following tip # 1; do your airport research. It can save you hours.

I realize that a two hour delay might make you miss your meeting with the most important SVP ever. However, yelling at gate agents accomplishes nothing. Absolutely nothing. Except for the possibility that your seat assignment got “lost” and you may now be stuck in the middle seat in the last row.

Be extra nice to flight attendants. No matter how rude they may be (which as we all know, never happens but just in case). There may not be an immediate reward, but take my word for it, this group deserves kindness. And just once in a while, your kindness will pay off with a complimentary glass of wine or an extra snack box.

Unless you have a bulky and large roll-on-board (see tip # 2; avoid the roll on board at all cost and opt for a nice duffel bag which is much more pliable), there is no reason for you to waste your precious 15-20 minutes standing in a line to board. You already have your seat assignment, you have your flexible bag that can go under a seat or in the last ten inches remaining in the overheard compartment. You’re good. Sit back, finish your coffee and enjoy boarding without the line.

Walk into hotels with a confident swagger that smacks of your importance in the world, followed by a mega watt smile as you approach the check in agent. Never ever forget to ASK about an upgrade, even if you are a general peon member. My husband is always mortified when I ask, yet he’s the first to squeal of delight at the palatial bathroom in the suites we usually get upgraded to. Hotels, restaurants, and yes, sometimes even airlines … have excess premium inventory that the agents have at their discretion. You may not always get it, but if you smile, appear deeply grateful for whatever you get and just ask – it’s amazing how something as simple as a smile, a question and appreciation can translate into a luxe experience.

Sorry, I don’t do the adventurous solo dining. When I travel solo I am anti-social. Just like I don’t like chatty seat mates, I don’t see the “adventure” in solo dining. There must be some travel tips for that somewhere else but I wouldn’t know. I’m a busy mom and manager; the whole concept of ROOM SERVICE is heaven!

As a female traveler and airline employee, I have learned good air travel through trial and error. I now know everything from which tiny airports I can connect through in the case of bad weather to which terminal in any of the thousands of airports around the world you can get really good fish tacos (SEA is one!). I have beautiful children, a loving family and a solid career – a rich rewarding life that keeps me very busy. That said, when my travel begins, from my first visit to Google to delighting in the room service menu, none of those roles matter. For a few days, I become the female version of George Clooney in “Up in the Air” (not the girlfriend mind you!) and I feel completely free as I soar 37,000 feet above life as usual.

That is what solo travel is to me; freedom.

Have you made a habit of practicing niceness as Maggie recommends? What trials and errors have you experienced in perfecting good air travel habits?

No comments:

Post a Comment