19.5.10

Lady Travel Talk: My Must-haves When Traveling Internationally

We are pleased to introduce our 8th guest blogger of the Lady Travel Talk, a mini-series tailor made for female travelers. This series covers a host of topics related to the travel experiences of each of the ladies contributing to the series.

Today's guest blogger Benet J. Wilson is a reporter for Aviation Week. She oversees the Aviation Week business aviation channel at aviationweek.com/biz. You can read more from Benet on her personal travel blog as well.

Today Benet describes what she's not willing to travel without when flying internationally.

Before I had my daughter four years ago, I was a regular world traveler. But after she was born, I cut back – drastically – because I hate being away from her for too long.

But it was back in the saddle for me recently when I was sent to Geneva, Switzerland, to cover the 2010 European Business Aviation Convention & Exhibition, the industry show of record for this region of the world. I was going to be there for a week, and I was excited to be leaving the country again after more than two years from my last trip.

So it was time to take out the suitcase and start packing. I have the I Heart Travel-Packing app on my iPod Touch, because my memory isn’t what it used to be, so I need all the help I can get. Believe me, it is NOT fun to realize you've reached your destination and forgotten to pack underwear. This app has sample lists for men and women; it also allows you to create your own list and create a master catalog where you can drag items for new lists. Plus if the worst happens – lost luggage – you have a list of what you packed.

I usually choose a neutral color theme – blue, black or taupe/beige – and pack accordingly. It’s amazing how an outfit can look different with a different jacket, sweater, scarf or accessories, and I chose black for this trip. I also take an extra pair of shoes.

There are also things I refuse to leave home without. One is a roll of toilet paper. Yes. TP. No offense, but European toilet paper is pretty harsh, and after a day I am not happy. I bring my own wash cloths. Again, European hotels don’t tend to have them in restrooms, and I like having my own. I also bring a vial of Dr. Brommer’s liquid Peppermint soap for its myriad uses – body wash, clothing wash and soothing foot wash after a long day of hoofing it at shows.

In my purse, I keep the following: hand sanitizer, Ibuprofen, Claratin allergy medicine, Tylenol PM, Neosporin, Cortisone, Band-Aids, hand lotion and cough drops. I also keep baby wipes from when my daughter was younger. They serve myriad purposes, including hand cleaner, facial refresher and seatback tray table and lav cleaner.

I have a back pack that holds all my work equipment (laptop computer, iPod, digital camera, video camera, chargers, notebooks, pens, etc.). I love the Bijoux Terner $10 dollar stores at airports across the U.S., and I love their pashima scarves. They can serve as a pillow, a blanket and a stylish wrap year round. I also keep portable snacks and a small emergency kit with vitals in case my luggage gets lost (and it has happened several times).

I hope my tips have helped. I’d love to know: what items are must-take for you on trips? What do you keep in your carry-on bag? What are some of your packing tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment