21.4.11

Tweeting up with fellow #avgeeks - #MDT324

Over the past few months, those of you following the MDT's Twitter stream may have seen the hashtag #MDT324 in use. What appears to be a nonsensical collection of letters and numbers actually represented an event planned to bring several of our more active twitter followers to MDT for an opportunity to meet one another in person. In total 5 "tweeps" flew or drove in from across the country for an evening "tweetup" with the airport tweeter. Each tweep has graciously agreed to share their experience in a wrap up blog series.


Amanda's post is the final of the wrap up series on #MDT324. Maybe we'll be seeing you at the 2012 event!

To be honest, before #MDT324, I thought Twitter was pretty stupid. I only started to tweet because my "cool travel friends" were doing it. I jokingly told Stephanie that MDT should host a behind-the-scenes-tour of the airport, and she tweeted back, asking if I would fly to MDT. I said "sure, why not,?" but I didn't expect it to actually happen!

Imagine my surprise when suddenly we had an event date. And then there was a list of people, like myself, who were going to fly across the country to see the inner-workings of an amazing airport? Suddenly Twitter wasn't so stupid, it was something that was connecting me to fellow aviation geeks!

I flew into the airport early to get a sense of the place. I checked myself into the airport-managed Susquehanna Club, which is a great place for frequent travelers such as myself to kick back and relax before a flight. I also grabbed some lunch at Subway. I was impressed with the dining choices at MDT, certainly a lot more than at my home airport of Omaha. Also, everyone at MDT was genuinely friendly. Flying as much as I do- you really notice when airport staff goes above and beyond. I'm happy to say everyone I met at MDT was friendly!

Finally, the moment arrived when the "tweeps" would actually "tweetup." I didn't really know what to expect, but, as soon as I met everyone, I knew we were kindred spirits. As we explored the airport together, seeing places that I have only dreamed of seeing in the past (hello, baggage handling system!), I suddenly realized that Twitter wasn't so dumb.

I want to thank Stephanie for the amazing and informational tour, and to my fellow "tweeps for life"- Chris, Laura, Mike, Julie and Hans. If nothing else, you guys will always be my twitter friends, right?..

No comments:

Post a Comment