26.9.11

Airport Life: Human Resources Administrator

We like to give readers a look at the "behind-the-scenes" aspects of airport operations that aren't obvious or necessarily directly visible to passengers in the terminal every day.  So far we've taken a look at fleet maintenanceairport fire fighters and the AvFlight FBO (fixed base operator).  Today's Airport Life post features Heather Blake, the Human Resources Administrator for MDT.  Heather kindly shared a high level overview of what she does in a given day at the airport.  She's an integral part to the personnel operations at Harrisburg and a valued member of our staff.


Every job should be rewarding, being in Human Resources is no different, and in fact that is a big part of the job.  As the Human Resource Administrator at Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority (SARAA) my day is never the same, I go from completing payroll to checking on employees that are out on disability and workers compensation.  In a brief minute I can be yelling at the short term disability company and the next minute I am saying congratulations to an employee for the birth of their new child. I attended a seminar last summer; I listened to Andrew Greenberg, Esquire from The ChartwellLaw Offices.  He gave a definition of an HR professional that fit, “the job of a human resource professional is a challenging one that requires a wide range of skill sets.  It insists that at any given moment, the director assume the role of a social worker, accountant, physician, psychologist, benefits coordinator and attorney.”  When I am asked to describe my day the definition can range into any of those items listed.  


My day, as with any position, has ups and downs and highs and lows.  The difference is that my position allows me to involve myself in an employee’s everyday life.  While I may not interact with passengers or tenants very often, I do interact with employees every day.  In a sense I am attached to them, and sometimes to their families.  I become closest to them during tough times, such as extended illnesses.  We had an employee that everyone loved; he was extremely happy and had an amazing outlook on life.  When he approached me one morning on my way in and told me that he had terminal cancer, I did not say a word; I hugged him and cried with him.  I talked to him or his wife every other day until his passing, during this time I received multiple letters from him expressing how thankful he was for the help that I had given him and his wife.  Afterwards I met with his wife and she thanked me as well.  I did not call every day to check because I wanted thanks or appreciation; I cared about them very much and wanted them to know that pure and simple fact.  That is the bittersweet part of being in Human Resources, the attachment that is made with so many good people and families.  It is both the best part and worst part of HR.    


Luckily we have amazing folks that work here at the airport, I am beyond thankful every day to have them to work with, they make things much easier.  I do of course do other things than hang out and talk to employees!  I do payroll every other week and insurance benefits and all that entails.  Benefits are something that I do not expect anyone to understand, it is complicated, and sometimes I think they do that on purpose!  A lot of times employees have questions, if I do not know the answer I will call the company and get back to them fairly quickly, after all, most of the time they are very important questions.  I also handle workers compensation claims and cases, as well as disability filings and Family MedicalLeave Act (FMLA) information.  


HR should be a place that an employee feels comfortable, they should be okay talking to the HR person and not be afraid to ask questions or give new ideas.  I can only hope that I do that for SARAA, because the employees we have here deserve nothing but the best working for them.


Thanks Heather  for sharing what you do at Harrisburg International Airport! 

No comments:

Post a Comment