25.10.11

Wondrous Wanders: Santorini, Greece

Today we feature the fourth post in our guest blog travel series.  This series highlights the favorite travel destinations that inspired wonder in each guest blogger as they wandered there.  Today's post is from Dan Gellert on his wondrous wanderings in Santorini, Greece.  Dan is the CEO and Co-Founder of GateGuru, the leading in-airport mobile application for travelers.  In addition to his love of traveling and technology (hence GateGuru!), Dan enjoys outdoor activities, playing music and family. 

A little over a year ago, I visited Santorini with my wife as part of our honeymoon.  While this wasn’t my first time in Greece, this was my first time to the island of Santorini.  However, that trip will not be my last trip to Santorini.   In short, the island is the most perfect place I have ever been, and through that experience it has been elevated to my favorite travel destination.  Given that I have been to 6 continents and all 50 US states this is a big claim – so what specifically made Santorini my favorite travel destination?  In my mind, what made Santorini such a special place is the following:
Kirini Hotel

  • Our hotel was right out of a dream.  Within Santorini, we stayed in the town of Oia, which is probably the most beautiful of the towns in Santorini (it is on the northwest coast of the island).  For those that don’t know anything about Santorini, the island was formed as a result of a volcanic explosion.  Many of the hotels, are basically carved right into the island, and as a result, they look like they are sitting on the edge of a cliff, creating amazing panoramic views of nothing but rock and blue seas.  Within Oia, we stayed at the Kirini Hotel.  We had the type of room where the doors opened up to a view of nothing but the deep blue Agean Sea – not a bad way to open your eyes in the morning!  Apart from the room, the hotel (along with many hotels in Oia) made sure our every desire was met and on our final night we had “The Experience Dinner”.  This aptly named dinner involves a 5-course meal where the diners are sitting on a jutted out part of the main balcony, creating a paradigm where it feels like you are the only two people in the world.  Simply amazing. 
  • Lots of fun outdoor activities.  While I enjoy some beach time, I am not the type of person who can spend a week on a beach.  Luckily, on the island of Santorini there are so many fun and exciting activities.  One day we rented an ATV and went beach hoping to explore the island.  Another day we took a hike from Oia to Fira (the main town in Santorini) and another day we did a wine tour (there are lots of great Greek wines!).  Finally, we had one day to do nothing but sit by the infinity pool by the hotel (have I mentioned how much we liked the hotel J).  Overall, Santorini was a great mix of relaxation and activities, something that I would consider a requirement for my favorite travel destination.
  • Infinity Pool
  • Worlds Best Sunset.  The sunset on Santorini is simply unlike anything I have ever seen before.  In short, it is the world’s best sunset.  Every night the people on Santorini go to the northern most tip of the island and everyone watches the sunset together.  The beauty of the Santorini sunset was one of those amazing moments that I will never forget in my lifetime.  

World's Best Sunse
The 4 days and 3 nights we spent on the island of Santorini were some of the most memorable of my life.  Despite my preference to constantly travel to new places, Santorini is one place that I will return to  in the coming years and I hope you have the chance to visit the island as well!

Have you been to Greece, specifically Santorini?   What have been your favorite aspects of traveling to this exotic destination? 

1 comment: