23.11.11

Wondrous Wanders: Anchorage, Alaska

Today we feature the 7th post in our guest blog travel series.  This series highlights the favorite travel destinations that inspired wonder in each guest blogger as they wandered there.  Today's post is from Clayton Stambaugh and he's sharing about is his wondrous wanderings in Anchorage, Alaska.  Clayton is a graduate assistant at Southern Illinois University Carbondale where he's researching social media and airports.


I must admit, when I was made aware of my fiancee's invitation to be a bridesmaid in one of our high school friend’s wedding last December, I was greatly concerned.  Why the animosity on something so special?  Well, when I thought of the fact that this friend, an E-5 Staff Sergeant (SSgt) in the United States Air force station at Elmendorf Air Force Base in Alaska, I immediately started to calculate the potential cost in my head.  “We’re broke college students from Illinois”, I stressed to my future wife, “And, not to mention who would ever want to go to Alaska in the middle of the winter! Isn’t it dark the entire day?”

You would have thought I was being shipped to work on a crab boat.  In retrospect my assumption of Alaska is quite embarrassing. In my defense though, I had no conceptual framework of the State.  I was only slightly aware of the beauty and adventure Alaska held, and rather more familiar, unfortunately, with the horror that reality TV portrays it to be; and I’m not talking about Sarah Palin.

In the end I reluctantly let go of my lower 48 state predispositions. I swallowed my pride, paid my fare, and decided to make the best the situation as I boarded my flight to the unknown.

I recall arriving at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (ANC) around 12:00 p.m. Alaska time and snow was falling, much to be expected, as we pulled away from the terminal headed toward Wasilla where my friend lived.  It was extremely dark and hazy.  From what I could make out from the snow obscured streetlights was a beautiful white blanket that covered every imaginable surface.  I had been to northern snowcapped states in winter, but something was different as I stared into the deep black darkness faintly making out what appeared to be shadowing giants.  Those giants creeping in the darkness, were in fact mountains, which were made ever more apparent passing the famous star on the mountain pass.  As we pulled into my friend’s home, my attitude about the trip had completely changed, and I couldn’t wait to awake to daylight.

That morning, when daylight finally arrived, it was like a child awakening on Christmas morning as I hastily walked out the door of the house to see just where I had arrived.  Opening the door that day is nearly indescribable.  The smell, the sight, and the feeling are unlike anything I would have ever imagined.  I immediately realized this was a trip I would never forget.

It was the day before the wedding, and although everyone was caught up in the rush, I couldn’t help myself but absolutely live in the moment. The day was indeed madness, and everyone found themselves during the day setting up for the upcoming wedding and reception, held downtown Anchorage in the beautiful Marriot, yet shortly after it was time to celebrate the upcoming festivities.  Unfortunately I remember little of that night, it must have been the northern climate, but I do remember the world famous Chilkoot Charlie's a venue of nightlife that you cannot miss.

The wedding and reception the following evening was beautiful as expected and the short time in Alaska preceding proved to be just as memorable.  As a fan of Alaskan king crab I made it a personal ambition to go Humpy’s Great Alaskan Alehouse featured on Man V. Food: Anchorage.  This was not a mistake.  The food was absolutely excellent, not to mention the vastness, much like that of the wilderness of Alaska, in beverages available.  Also, not to be expected being a proud supporter of possibly the greatest pizza in the world found in Chicago, I must admit the pies found at Mooses Tooth are something to contend with.  They’re not deep dish, or thin crust, yet the home brew provided will help anyone rethink the concept of pizza.  Trust me.  Do not miss this place.  I personally recommend the Blackened Rockfish: topped with a cajun-seasoned fish, diced red onions, diced roma tomatoes, zesty sour cream sauce, parsley, mozzarella, provolone, and garlic oil.

Although, due to money constraints and time issues my future wife and I never had the chance to visit the wilderness outside the Anchorage area in Alaska, but I can assure you this is the greatest destination I have ever ventured to.  The cost was minimal compared to the experience, and even though arriving late December when there was only three to four hours of sunlight provided, one of my initial concerns, the breathtaking hours of dusk reveals the “twilight” you can’t find in books.  In fact, I contend that the Anchorage area itself is enough to visit Alaska, and despite my initial unfortunate reservations, I long to return to the final American wild frontier of Alaska.

My unconditional advice is to use Harrisburg International Airport (MDT), or any other airport, as your gateway to adventure… Don’t let your presumptions get the best of you – the airport is your gateway to anywhere. 


Have you been to Alaska?  What about this beautiful, northern state has captured your heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment