20.3.12

Guest Blog: Air Traveling with John

Today's Guest Blogger, John.
Today we continue our guest blog series regarding air traveling with a disability.  Our guest blogger today, John has traveled around the United States and internationally, he enjoys writing, traveling, and in his "own small way" advancing the lives of those with disabilities all over the world.

Today John writes for fly HIA blog about his experiences traveling as a blind man and shares some fantastic tips that have made flying less stressful for him.

Air travel has been, for the most part, easy for me. I’ve not gotten to do nearly as much of it as I might like, but I suppose I do have more experience than many.

My first flight aboard a commercial airliner occurred on May 11, 1990. I was headed from Charlotte North Carolina, my hometown, to Los Angeles California to compete in the Braille Institute Olympics. There were approximately five other students with blindness or low vision and a nearly equal number of chaperones. I remember the aircraft tour we’d been given the prior Tuesday, and all of the newspaper and TV reporters tagging along to view our reaction. I also got some wings pinned onto my chest and a delicious bag of peanuts.

As we prepared to board for actual departure, the person who assisted me was rather jovial. "So, you're going to Mexico?" he asked, sounding quite serious. "No, I'm supposed to go to Los Angeles" I replied. "Oh yeah? Well I've been told to put you on a plane to Mexico." Nearly starting to cry, I tried to get away from this madman, but he just laughed and guided me forward.

While that guy was doubtless joking, I have unfortunately encountered some individuals who were clueless and refused to listen to my instructions, supposedly perceiving me less knowledgeable even of my own travel situation. While in Dallas Fort Worth and Chicago O’Hare, I attempted to display my boarding pass as we sped along toward an unknown gate. Each time the agent with whom I was paired failed to look, and thus each time I ended up in some far-flung section. So if asked what my single most important piece of advice to airport workers when encountering travelers with disabilities would be, I’d say don’t assume the person has no capability of speaking for himself or understanding what is going on. Always ask questions and be willing to listen to and act on the answers.

My initial solo trip occurred in 2004, destination New York’s La Guardia Airport. In preparation, I’d looked up relevant information about ground transportation, and was thus able to effectively communicate where I needed the agents to take me once I had disembarked from the aircraft. This time, my flight originated from Greensboro, NC’s Piedmont Triad International Airport and was aboard a smaller, much louder, regional jet. In Greensboro, no one offered assistance when the flight was called so I had to just get up and follow the crowd from where I was seated in the terminal out onto the jet bridge, and down to the stairs and the waiting flight attendant. Therein lies a tip for persons with disabilities who are traveling: if no agent comes to assist you when the boarding calls are initiated, be assertive enough to make sure that you get onto that plane. Given how much they have going on as departure approaches, it is very easy for you to be forgotten by an agent, even if he or she has promised to come get you at the proper time.

I have continued to travel to airports near and far, including trips to Flint Michigan, Denver, Reno Nevada, Boston four times (my favorite city!), and to my only international destination, Madrid Spain. Entering a country in which people generally do not speak one’s native language can be overwhelming for anyone, but when that individual may need assistance after leaving the aircraft and in searching for those who are there to collect him, it causes a great deal more stress. My first time over there went relatively smoothly, as the agent with whom I was paired knew English well enough to understand me. However the second time was a little dicier. As the flight attendant communicated my situation to her in rapid Spanish, I heard her reply “No habla ingles, no habla ingles”. And yet I still ended up walking off with her. I simply took out my passport and displayed that, knowing she’d know what to do next. I also managed to cobble together enough of my rusty Spanish to inquire about the rest of my luggage, both surprising and unnerving her as she was afraid she wouldn’t be able to answer me. My party saw us strutting through the terminal though, and all was well. So I guess my final tip to others with disabilities who might wish to travel is to pack a smile and lots of patience along with those clothes. Oh, and learn how to at least ask for your bags.

So as you can see, my travel experiences aren’t fundamentally different from those of the rest of the population. While my primary disability is blindness, I also have some hearing loss that causes me to need to wear hearing aids. This has in no way hindered my ability and enjoyment of travel, and in fact it has probably enhanced it. I feel safer knowing that I can more effectively communicate with flight crew in the event of an emergency, something I would have found to be more difficult prior to receiving the aids in 2006.

So I guess the takeaway points are these: airport workers be respectful and open-minded, persons with disabilities don’t be afraid to speak up for you or to take other actions when needed, and everyone just be patient with each other. Happy travels. 

Thank you, John, for sharing your experiences with us and our readers!  Are you a blind traveler - what tips might you have to share that compliment those offered by our guest blogger today? 

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I admire his courage and determination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello John- I liked reading about your air travel. :-)

    ReplyDelete